Bookstore sales statistics
- Print book sales rose in 2020 by 8.2% in the US. and in 2021, units increased to 750.9 million, from 693.7 million compared to the year before.
- In 2020 bookstore sales were $6,185 million due to the impact of the pandemic, but are close to being back to 2019 levels.
- According to the US Census Bureau, bookstore sales fell nearly 30% in 2020.
- December bookstore sales increased in 2022 by 33.6% increasing to $1.20 billion from $900 million in 2020, following sales jumps of 53% in October and 43% in November.
- Based on the Economic Census of 2017 books made up 70.9% total bookstore sales.
US bookstore revenue statistics
- In 2021 bookstore revenue sat at $8,017, a 22.9% increase from 2020.
- Overall from 2010 to 2021 US bookstores have shown a gradual decrease in revenue from $15,238 million, a loss of 47.4%.
- From 2023 to 2027 revenue is expected to show an annual rate of 1.45%.
- The market size of bookstores in the US is $9.7bn as of 2023.
- This is a -1.3% decrease in market growth and -3.1% in annual market growth from 2018 to 2023.
- As of 2023 there are approximately 14,561 bookstores in the US
- Currently, the US employs a total of 74,132 workers, the largest companies being Barnes and Noble Inc., Follet Higher Education Group Inc., and Books-A-Million Inc.
- US Bookstores saw a revenue decline of 10.8% in 2020 after many stores closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- American Booksellers Association (ABA) reports that as of 2022, they have 2,023 member stores in 2,561 locations, which is up from the 1,689 in 2020.
- The association also found that 80% of respondents on a survey said they saw higher sales in 2021 than in 2020, and 70 % said their sales the year prior were higher than 2019.
US Bookstore revenue from 2010 to 2021 is displayed in the charts below:
|Year||Revenue ($ millions)|
UK bookstore revenue statistics
- In 2021 total revenue sales of books and journals in the United Kingdom reached 6.7 billion British pounds.
- Digital revenue surpassed £3 billion British pounds for the first time in 2021
- Sales revenue for print accounted for £3.5 billion British pounds
Australian bookstore revenue statistics
- The Australian bookstore market is at $1.4 billion as of 2023.
- This is a -1.6% decrease in market size growth and a -4.1% in annual market size from 2018 to 2023.
- In 2020 sales of books in Australia grew 7.8% to $1.25 billion, unit sales for the same year were 67 million.
- In 2021, the Australian book market experienced more growth of 2.5% in value to $1.3 billion, according to Nielsen BookScan.
Canadian bookstore revenue statistics
- The Canadian bookstore market is at $1.7 billion as of 2023.
- This is a -3% decrease in market size growth and a -7.4% in annual market size from 2018 to 2023.
- In 2021 a total of 52.83 million books were sold in Canada, generating a revenue of over $1.1 billion dollars.
- Although book sales revenue dropped between 2019 and 2020, it had been increasing slowly during the five years prior and surpassed one billion dollars for the first time in 2017.
- According to BookNet Canada, book sales revenue increased by 65% between 2017 and 2018.
Indian bookstore revenue statistics
- The Indian book market is currently worth $3.21 billion making it the sixth largest in the world and the second largest English language book market.
- In 2023 revenue is expected to reach $3.86 billion.
- This is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 2.21%, resulting in $4.21 billion by 2027.