This report analyzes the average cost of tuition in US Kumon centers alongside any additional costs that may be applied upon a student’s enrollment.
- Typically, Kumon centers offer two standard subjects to learners, mathematics and reading (in the local language of the center).
- For each subject studied, average Kumon tuition fees are around $150 per month / $1,800 annually.
- This works out to around $35 per week (which frequently consists of 2 classes).
- Due to this, each class session amounts to approximately $17.50.
- Discounts are sometimes offered for students that wish to study multiple subjects.
- Many Kumon centers offer free placement tests for new students to assess their ability.
- However, new students often have to pay a registration fee of around $50.
- The cost of study materials can be around $30 per subject studied.
- Many Kumon centers look to quote prices in person rather than online.
- As Kumon centers function as franchises, prices can vary greatly.
- This is mainly due to differences in running costs in different locations.
What is Kumon?
- Kumon is an educational network which specializes in teaching using the Kumon method.
- Kumon is primarily used to teach mathematics and reading, but it can also be used to teach foreign languages.
- Students initially are asked to take a placement test with an instructor who assesses their current abilities and potential areas for development.
- Instructors must work to find a suitable starting point for the student and look to create a long-term study programme.
- Kumon is used to teach content ranging from pre-primary to senior high school level (students aged 2 – 18 years old).
- The typical levels for each subject are given below:
- 21 levels (6A through to Level O).
- Elective course (5 sub levels).
- 23 levels (7A through to Level L).
- Foreign languages:
- 15 levels.
Estimated first month Kumon costs
- For a first month student:
- The total estimated cost to study one subject is $230.
- The total estimated cost to study two subjects is $380.
- Registration fees are standard one time fees for each student of approximately $50.
- Materials fees are approximately 20% of the total monthly cost of tuition (excluding any discounts given).
|Fee type||One subject||Two subjects|
A graph is given below to show estimated first month Kumon costs by type:
History of Kumon
- Kumon was invented by Toru Kumon, a Japanese educator.
- Prior to officially starting the company, he saw that his son was having difficulties with math at school.
- To support his learning, he began writing worksheets which he would ask his son to complete each day.
- His son’s ability greatly improved and due to this, Toru invited other local students to learn through his methodology.
- He saw firsthand that his technique was allowing students to flourish, so decided to bring it to as many learners as possible.
- In 1955, Toru Kumon opened his first Kumon center for math in Osaka.
- He officially founded the Kumon Institute of Education in 1958.
- In the following years, he continued to expand business operations.
- By 1969, the company had reached a milestone of over 10,000 students studying the method.
- The owner published “The Secret of Kumon Maths” in 1974 which was well received and drew further interest.
- Kumon began international expansion by opening a center in New York during the same year.
- By 1977 Kumon had arrived in South America. Two years later it came to Europe.
- In 1981, the number of students enrolled in Kumon started to exceed 1 million.
- Ten years later, Kumon began operations in Africa through a center in Johannesburg.
- The number of Kumon enrolled students had doubled to 2 million by 1993.
- 1998 saw Kumon arrive in the Middle East, with new centers in Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
- The 2000s saw steady growth and over 4 million students were enrolled globally.
- The decade also saw the company celebrate its 50th anniversary.
- By 2017 Kumon was present in 50 countries around the world.
Kumon tuition fees FAQ
How many students study Kumon?
- Globally, an estimated 4 million students study Kumon.
- In the US, there are around 400,000 students enrolled in Kumon.
- Approximately 10% of all Kumon students are enrolled within the US.
How many Kumon centers are there?
- As of 2023, there are approximately 25,000 Kumon centers around the world that span 58 countries.
- In the US, there are an estimated 1,649 Kumon centers.
- Approximately 6.60% of Kumon centers are located in the US.
Can Kumon students learn additional subjects?
- In addition to mathematics and reading which are available to study at different levels, Kumon students can also learn foreign languages.
- As of 2023, Kumon offers foreign language tuition for Chinese, English, French, German and Japanese.
- However, foreign language programs are not available in all countries where Kumon is available.
How are Kumon tuition costs paid?
- Kumon tuition fees are typically paid monthly or annually.
- Failure to pay on time or returned transactions can result in fines.
- Many Kumon centers require a one month notice period prior to cancellation of a student’s enrollment.