Barens and Noble sales statistics
- Barnes & Noble sells over 190 million physical books per year between retail stores and online operations.
- Every year the company sells more than 1 million unique physical book titles.
- Being the largest retailer of magazines in America, Barnes & Noble carries approximately 3,000 magazine titles and over 400 newspaper titles.
- With approximately 600 bookstores, Barnes & Noble has a retail presence in every state.
- In 2009, Barnes & Noble also became a leader in eBooks, launching the NOOK, the world’s most advanced eBook reader and offering over 1 million titles.
- Hosts around 100,000 community events each year.
- Barnes & Noble has earned the top rating of 100% in the Corporate Equality Index, for the 15th year running.
Barnes and Noble revenue statistics
- Total sales for Barnes and Noble were at $880,956 with a gross profit of $208,323 as of October 2022.
- As of 2019 Barnes & Noble reported a revenue of $3.48 billion, down from a $3.66 billion in 2018. For several years the company’s revenue has been decreasing annually, with figures falling by nearly $2 billion between 2012 and 2019.
- According to The New York Times, Barnes & Noble’s sales were up 3% in 2021 versus a 14% jump in pre-pandemic 2019 book sales.
- Barnes & Noble sales of Manga and graphic novels were up by as much as 500% as of 2019.
- In terms of profitability Barnes & Noble has had a rough few years. The company reported a net loss of almost $125.5 million in 2018, and a net income of just $3.77 million in 2019.
- In 2019, Barnes & Noble had 627 stores in the United States, three fewer than in the previous year, However although this figure has been decreasing, Barnes & Noble began opening new outlets and expects to open 30 new stores in 2023.
Barnes and Noble’s annual revenue by year
|Year||Revenue ($ Millions)|
Barnes and Noble’s revenue by year is displayed in the chart below:
Barnes & Noble facts
- The Barnes and Noble company is based at 33 East 17th Street, New York.
- The Company has operated 627 retail bookstores, major strip centres and freestanding locations in 50 states as of 2019.
- As of 2019, Barnes and Noble employed approximately 23,000 employees.
- Barnes & Noble Inc wholly owns all their stores and does not have plans to offer franchise opportunities.
- Barnes and Noble is one of the internet’s largest internet bookstores.
- Barnes & Noble Kids is the ideal destination for those looking for age-based recommendations in children’s books, videos, and music.
- The company’s DVD & Blu-ray store houses 60,000+ titles making it the destination of choice for movie lovers.
- Barnes and Noble’s Music Store has been named the Web’s best by Forbes. The store’s content includes Classical, Jazz, Rock, and World music,exclusive interviews, free downloads, over 1 million sample audio clips, nearly 100,000 music reviews, and 40,000 artist biographies.