Goosebumps Books Statistics
How many Goosebumps books were sold?
- Over 400 million copies of Goosebumps books have been sold since 1992.
- The Goosebumps series sold over 350 million copies in the United States and additional 50 million copies worldwide.
- This makes Goosebumps the second best-selling book series of all time, trailing only Harry Potter.
- Only in 1995, over 32 million copies of the series were sold, including almost 13 million backlist titles.
- The original series (1992-1997) was selling over 1 million copies per month and 4 million copies in a month by the mid-90s.
- By 2001, 45 books from the series sold over 1 million copies, with 2 of them selling over 2 million.
- By 1996, Goosebumps sales accounted for 15% of the publisher’s annual revenue (Scholastic).
- In 1997, after the last book in the original series was published and the sales started to decline, Scholastic’s sales revenue dropped by 40%.
- Goosebumps books appeared on USA Today’s best-sellers list for 115 weeks in total and were also featured on the New York Times bestsellers list.
- Aside from the United States, the series was a best-seller in the UK, France, and Australia.
- The series has been translated into 35 languages.
- RL Stine, the author of the Goosebumps series, received a Guinness World Records certificate for the “Most prolific author of children’s horror novels” in 2011.
How many books are in the Goosebumps series?
- In total, 235 books in the Goosebumps series have been published since 1992.
- The original series (1992-1997) contained 62 titles.
- There are 29,677 pages in the Goosebumps series, and the average book in the series is 126 pages long.
- There are approximately 187 words on the average page of Goosebumps books.
- The series as a whole contains approximately 5,537,070 words, while the average book in the Goosebumps series contains 23,562 words.
- The average reader would need just over 94 minutes to read one book from the Goosebumps series.
- It would take over 15 days for the average reader to complete reading all 235 titles from the Goosebumps series.
- For children ages 8 to 12, it takes between 2 and 6 minutes and 3 hours and 24 minutes to complete the average book from the Goosebumps series.
- It would take between 20 and 33 days for kids ages 8 to 12 to read the complete Goosebumps books collection, reading non-stop.
What reading level are Goosebumps books?
- All 235 books from the Goosebumps series are recommended for children ages 8 to 12.
- Give Yourself Goosebumps series (1995-2000) is recommended for children ages 7 to 12.
- The average Goosebumps book has a Lexile measure score of 446.
- Creepy Creatures is the book from the series with the lowest Lexile score of 260, making it the easiest Goosebumps book to read.
- Monster Blood is the most complex book from the Goosebump series, with a Lexile measure score of 640.
Which Goosebumps books are banned?
- From 1990 to 1999, the complete Goosebumps series ranked 15th on the list of the most frequently banned and challenged books.
- During the first decade of the 21st century, the series dropped down on the list of the most frequently banned, standing at number 94.
- However, from 2010 to 2019, the series received an increased number of challenges across the US, becoming the 46th most frequently challenged book (series) during this period.
- The most common reason for challenging the Goosebumps series is being too scary for the recommended age group.
- 75% of the challenges related to the Goosebumps books occurred in school libraries.
- In 1997, a public hearing was held by the Anoka-Hennepin school district about banning the series from school libraries, which was opposed by the children and parents.
Which Goosebumps books are in the movie?
- Goosebumps movie, released in 2015, was followed by a series of 5 books related to the plot of the movie, all released on August 25, 2015:
- The Movie Novel
- Night of the Living Monsters
- Slappy’s Revenge
- Monster Survival Guide
- Activity Book
- Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, a stand-alone sequel to the original movie, premiered on October 8, 2018, and was followed by the Movie Novel.
Goosebumps movie stats
- The Goosebumps movie had a production budget of $58 million and grossed over $158 million worldwide, including $80 million in the US and over $78 million internationally.
- On the opening weekend, the movie grossed over $23.6 million, almost 30% of the total movie gross.
- The highest earnings outside the US are in the UK, Mexico, Venezuela, and Spain.
- Goosebumps 2, the stand-alone sequel released in 2018, grossed $93 million worldwide, with equal distribution between US and international gross ($46.7 million each).
- The movie had a budget of $35 million and was the most popular in the UK, Mexico, France, and Russia.
Goosebumps books in order
Click to expand
Goosebumps audiobooks statistics
- 49 Goosebumps audiobooks have been published so far, including 7 audiocassettes released between 1996 and 1997.
- The total length of Goosebumps audiobooks is 4 days and 23 hours, while the average audiobook from the series is 2 hours and 24 minutes long.
- The longest audiobook from the series is Classic Goosebumps, which is 3 hours and 19 minutes long.
List of all Goosebumps audiobooks
Click to expand