Business Book Sales Statistics
- Approximately 80.64 million business and economics category print books were sold in 2021.
- This represents 25% of adult non-fiction print sales which were over 322.56 million in total.
- 2021 showed 10% rise from over 73.31 million for the business and economics category when compared to the previous FY.
- Furthermore, print sales in the business and economics category reached a 10-year high.
- This category represents the second largest adult non-fiction subject after religious texts.
- As of 2022, business & money is also ranked third within the top ebook sales categories on Amazon.
- However as of 2022, business books with a focus on personal finance & investment recorded the largest year-on-year sales declines.
- Despite these declines, as of 2022 print unit sales for the sub-category still show a 27% increase when compared to 2019.
- The business & money category was ranked sixth within the top U.S. audiobook genres as of 2017.
Best-selling business books of all time
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill was published in 1937. It has sold over 70 million copies as of 2022.
- In 2007, the book was ranked sixth on BusinessWeek’s best-selling paperback business books.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki has sold more than 44 million copies since its 1997 publication.
- The book was featured on the New York Times bestsellers list for over six years, as of 2016
- It is claimed that the author’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show had the greatest influence on his overall sales numbers.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
- The audio version of the book has also sold 1.5 million copies.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie has sold over 30 million copies worldwide.
- Annually it sells in excess of 250,000 copies.
- The book was ranked the seventh most influential book in American history in a Library of Congress survey in 2013.
Business books by copies sold
|#||Title||Author||Copies sold||Year published||Pages|
|1||Think and Grow Rich||Napoleon Hill||70 million||1937||238|
|2||Rich Dad Poor Dad||Robert T. Kiyosaki||44 million||2000||336|
|3||The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People||Stephen Covey||40 million||1989||381|
|4||How to Win Friends and Influence People||Dale Carnegie||30 million||1936||291|
|5||Who Moved My Cheese?||Spencer Johnson||30 million||1998||94|
|6||Freakonomics||Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner||7 million||2005||336|
|7||Atomic Habits||James Clear||5 million||2018||320|
|8||Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion ||Robert B. Cialdini||5 million||1984||592|
|9||The E-Myth Revisited||Michael E. Gerber||5 million||1986||288|
|10||The Goal||Eliyahu M. Goldratt||5 million||1984||384|
|11||In Search of Excellence||Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman Jr.||4.5 million||1982||400|
|12||Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead||Sheryl Sandberg||4.2 million||2013||247|
|13||Good to Great||Jim Collins||4 million||2001||320|
|14||Blue Ocean Strategy||W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne||3.5 million||2004||240|
|15||Influence: Science and Practice||Robert B. Cialdini||3 million||1984||260|
|16||Thinking Fast And Slow||Daniel Kahneman||2.6 million||2011||499|
|17||Zero to One||Peter Thiel||2.5 million||2014||224|
|18||The 4-Hour Workweek||Tim Ferriss||2.1 million||2007||308|
|19||Getting to Yes||Roger Fisher and William Ury||2 million||1981||200 |
|20||Never Split the Difference||Chris Voss||2 million||2016||260|
|21||Losing My Virginity||Richard Branson||2 million||1998||624|
|22||Principles||Ray Dalio||2 million||2017||592|
|23||The Power of Habit||Charles Duhigg||2 million||2012||371|
|24||Getting Things Done||David Allen||1.6 million||2001||267|
|25||The Infinite Game||Simon Sinek||1.6 million||2019||251|
What are the benefits of reading business books?
- Business people who read at least seven business books a year earn over 2.3 times more than those who read only one per year.
How many categories of business books are there?
- The business and economics print books category comprises more than 100 subjects and over 200 sub-category subjects.
What type of content is included in business books?
- Financial literacy and independence are amongst the key themes within bestselling business category books.