Used Book Sales Statistics
- As of 2022, the market for second-hand books is at a net value of $24.03 billion.
- This shows a year-on-year growth of 5.5% from $22.78 billion.
- According to projections, the market is expected to reach $45.53 billion at the end of 2032.
- North America has a market share of 27.8% ($6.68 billion) within the global second hand books market as of 2022.
- 63% ($15.14 billion) of the second-hand books industry globally is within the adult segment.
- 41.6% ($10 billion) is estimated to be within the children’s segment.
- Across the book publishers market globally, second hand books held a share value of 15% as of 2020.
- For consumers who are either interested in or have purchased used items, books (81%) are more popular than fashion items (74%).
- Consumers look to used books due to their lower price (92%) or for environmental reasons (83%).
- As of 2016, 70% of students purchased used books instead of brand new copies.
Used book sales by region
- More than half of consumers within the US & UK choose to buy more second-hand than new books.
- As of 2022, North America’s market share within the global second hand books market is 27.8%.
- Europe holds a market share of 25.1% globally within the second-hand books market.
- For the same market, East Asia holds a market share of 16.3% globally.
- At a slightly lower rate, South Asia holds a global market share of 15%.
- With an increased focus on education and literacy, the Asian market regions could increase their global market share.
Best selling used books
|1||The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People||Stephen R. Covey||1989||432|
|2||To Kill a Mockingbird||Harper Lee||1960||336|
|3||The Great Gatsby||F. Scott Fitzgerald||1925||110|
|4||Their Eyes Were Watching God||Zora Neale Hurston||1937||219|
|5||The Catcher in the Rye||J.D. Salinger||1951||234|
|6||The Five Love Languages||Gary Chapman||1992||208|
|7||The Kite Runner||Khaled Hosseini||2003||400|
|9||Lord of the Flies||William Golding||1954||224|
|10||Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows||J.K. Rowling||2007||607|
Used books and higher education
- Publishers have started to introduce electronic codes to prevent students from reselling their books.
- The codes give users access to ebook versions for a given time period.
- Once used, the code cannot be redeemed again.
- By encouraging students to rent instead of buying books, it places limitations on the supplies of used-books.
- In September, campus stores look to stock new books at much higher prices than those available second-hand.
- However, at the end of a term, students will often look to sell their books, increasing the supply of used books and lowering fees.
Why are used book sales increasing?
- Used book sales are increasing due to an increased focus on education and literacy around the globe in recent years.
- This results in an increase in the overall number of readers, creating a greater demand for used books.
Which used books are the most valuable?
- Often the most valuable used books are classic literature first edition publications.
Why are used textbooks more popular with students?
- Used textbooks are more popular with students as they are much cheaper than new books.
- Used textbooks allow students to participate in essential course activities that rely on the publication.