Reading Habits Around the World
What percentage of people do not read?
- 54.1% of Mexicans did not read a book last year
- 23.7% of American citizens stated that they haven’t read any book over the last 12 months
- 21% of Canadians have not read a book in the past 12 months
- 19.2% of Chinese people do not read0
- 18% of British people never read
- 12% of French people do not read
- 6% of Brazilians never read
What percentage of people around the world read every week?
- 66% of readers in Canada read weekly or more frequently
- 50% of readers in Spain read weekly at a minimum
- 48% of Dutch readers read every week or more frequently
- 42% of British readers read weekly
- 36% of readers in Denmark read weekly or more
How are reading habits changing around the world?
- The people who read the most are starting to read fewer books each year
- People are reading weekly instead of daily, suggesting people are reading less often
- In Denmark, 14.1% fewer people read fiction every week than did in 2009
- In Canada, 10% fewer people read a book last year than did in 2014
- In Mexico, 17.6% fewer people read a book last year than did in 2016
- In the USA, 8% fewer people read for pleasure now than did in 2017
- In Norway, 83% of people read a book in the last year – down 10.7%