- She is listed as the best selling living fiction author of all time.
- As of 2022, it is estimated that her annual income exceeds $20 million.
- Over the analyzed period, she amassed her highest annual income during 2011, at $35 million.
- Her net worth is estimated to be $310 million.
- Since the start of her writing career, she has made an average annual income of $6.08 million
- As of 2022, Danielle Steel has published more than 190 books, which includes 149 novels.
- From these books, she has sold more than 900 million copies globally.
- Her early books often had an initial print run of 1 million copies.
- This was reduced down to 650,000 copies in 2004 by her publisher, due to a decline in book purchases.
- Despite this print reduction, her fan base remained strong and her books continued to sell-out, topping worldwide charts.
Danielle Steel book sales
- As of 2018, Danielle Steel’s annual income was $12 million.
- For the given period, her highest income was 2011’s $35 million.
- Her lowest income was 2017’s $11 million.
- Her income reduced by $23 million over the period, a total drop of 65.71%.
|Year||Annual income ||Change|
|2012||$23 million||– 34.29%|
|2013||$26 million||+ 13.04%|
|2014||$22 million||– 15.38%|
|2015||$25 million||+ 13.64%|
|2016||$15 million||– 40.00%|
|2017||$11 million||– 26.67%|
|2018||$12 million||+ 9.09%|
A graph is given below to show Danielle Steel’s annual book sales income over the period:
Danielle Steel novels in order
(Last 10 years only)
|2013||Until the End of Time||418 |
|2013||First Sight||384 |
|2014||Power Play||339 |
|2014||A Perfect Life||320 |
|2015||Prodigal Son||318 |
|2015||Precious Gifts||418 |
|2016||Property of a Noblewoman||336 |
|2016||The Apartment||336 |
|2016||Rushing Waters||338 |
|2016||The Award||336 |
|2017||The Mistress||362 |
|2017||Against All Odds||352 |
|2017||The Duchess||352 |
|2017||The Right Time||336 |
|2017||Past Perfect||304 |
|2018||Fall from Grace||387 |
|2018||Accidental Heroes||322 |
|2018||The Cast||268 |
|2018||The Good Fight||304 |
|2018||In His Father’s Footsteps||336 |
|2018||Beauchamp Hall||288 |
|2019||Turning Point||288 |
|2019||Silent Night||288 |
|2019||Blessing in Disguise||288 |
|2019||Lost and Found||288 |
|2019||The Dark Side||288 |
|2019||Child’s Play||288 |
|2020||Moral Compass||288 |
|2020||The Numbers Game||263 |
|2020||The Wedding Dress||291 |
|2020||Daddy’s Girls||265 |
|2020||All That Glitters||281 |
|2021||Finding Ashley||288 |
|2021||Nine Lives||272 |
|2021||The Butler||256 |
|2021||Flying Angels||263 |
|2022||High Stakes||260 |
|2022||The Challenge||272 |
|2022||The High Notes||256 |
|2022||The Whittiers||272 |
|2023||Without a Trace||240 |
|2023||Worthy Opponents||256 |
|2023||The Wedding Planner||288 |
Number of Danielle Steel novels per year
- As of 2023, she has released 149 novels, typically focused within the genre of Romance.
- Since the beginning of her career, Danielle Steel has averaged 2.92 novels per year.
- Between 1974 and 1976, she did not release any novels.
- Since 1997 she has consistently released at least three novels per year.
- She chooses not to write sequels in order to avoid comparisons between previous novels.
|Year||Number of publications||Total number of publications|
A graph is given below to show the total number of Danielle Steel novels published during her career:
Danielle Steel movie adaptations
- In total, 24 of Danielle Steel’s books have been adapted into movies.
- Twenty of her movie adaptations were released during the 1990’s.
- Three of her movie adaptations were released before the 1990’s.
- Only one film was released in the 2000’s, “Safe Harbour” (2007), which was also the last released Danielle Steel movie adaptation.
|2||1983||Now and Forever|
|11||1993||Message from Nam|
|15||1994||A Perfect Stranger|
|16||1994||Once in a Lifetime|
|23||1996||No Greater Love|
Danielle Steel biography
- The author started writing as a child and often draws upon her early family experiences around high society within her novels.
- She completed her first manuscript at the age of 19, while she was at New York University.
- Steel published her first novel, “Going Home” in 1973.
- The two novels that contributed greatly to her reputation were “Passion’s Promise” (1977) and “Now and Forever” (1978), both influenced by her relationship with her second husband.
- She had become a regular on The New York Times bestsellers lists by 1981 and her recognition has since continued to grow.
Danielle Steel achievements
- Within fiction, she is listed as the fourth-bestselling author of all time.
- In 1989, she achieved a Guinness World Record for having a book on The New York Times bestsellers list for the most consecutive weeks of any author (381 weeks).
- Due to her contributions to world culture, she was recognized as an “Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres” by the government of France in 2002.
- Her books have been published in 69 countries and across 43 languages.
Danielle Steel FAQ
What is Danielle Steel’s full name?
- Danielle Steel’s full name is Danielle Fernandes Dominique Schuelein-Steel.
What is Danielle Steel’s most popular book?
- According to Goodreads, “Safe Harbour” (2003) is her most popular rated publication.
What does Danielle Steel write about?
- Danielle Steel has found most of her success by writing Romance novels, which make up the majority of her books.
- Her novels often include the topic of wealth alongside darker topics such as crime and death.
- Additionally, Danielle Steel has also written children’s books, nonfiction books and poetry.