- As of 2021, Simon & Schuster generates over $993 million in revenue from book publishing and sales.
- This makes Simon & Schuster the 5th largest publishing house in the world, trailing only Penguin Random House, Hachette, HarperCollins, and Macmillan Publishers.
- Book sales revenue for the company increased by 10% compared to 2020, when it stood at $903 million.
- Simon & Schuster’s operating income amounts to $213 million as of 2021, which is a 52% increase compared to the previous year ($141 million).
- International sales for Simon & Schuster increased by 25% in 2021 compared to the previous year.
- Adult book sales (fiction and nonfiction) were up 4% in 2021 compared to 2020.
- Children’s book sales increased 7% in 2021 for Simon & Schuster.
- Looking at digital format sales:
- Ebook sales for Simon & Schuster dropped by 9% in 2021 compared to 2020.
- Audiobook sales went up 11% in 2021 over 2020.
- Overall, digital format sales remain stable, with no change in 2021 over 2020.
- A huge part of Simon & Schuster’s revenue rise in 2021 is attributed to the popularity of some of their older titles, namely “It Ends With Us,” by Colleen Hoover, on BookTok.
Simon & Schuster revenue statistics
- Since 2015, Simon & Schuster’s revenue from book sales has increased by $215 million, representing a 27.6% growth over the last 7 years.
- The company’s revenue from book sales is projected to reach over $1 billion in 2022, which would be the first time the company recorded a $1 billion revenue in 12 months.
- Since 2015, Simon & Schuster’s revenue has been growing at the average annual rate of 4.5%, reaching the peak during 2020, highly affected by the pandemic and lockdowns.
- Only in 9 months of 2022, the company reported a revenue of $863 million, 19% more than the same period in 2021.
- The company generated more revenue in the first 9 months of 2022 than in any full calendar year before 2020.
- Using this very rough projection, Simon & Schuster will generate over $1.2 billion in revenue in 2022.
Annual sales revenues for Simon & Schuster, along with the growth figures, are presented in the table below:
|Year||Revenue ($ million)||Change|
|2022* (Janurary to Septermber)||863||19%* (compared to the same period in 2021)|
A graphical representation of Simon & Schuster’s annual revenue over the years is presented on the chart below:
Simon & Schuster income from book sales
- From 2015, Simon & Schuster’s income from book sales and publishing increased by over $112 million.
- This presents a 110.9% growth over this period, meaning the company managed to double its income from book sales in 7 years.
- In 2021, the company’s income increased by 52.1% compared to 2020, and for the first time in the company’s history, it went over $200 million in a calendar year.
- During the first 9 months of 2022, Simon & Schuster reported an income of over $223 million, making it already 4.7% bigger than in the 12 months of 2021.
- The company is on the pace to record an income worth over $270 million in 2022, according to rough estimates based on the first 9 months’ performance.
- Simon & Schuster’s income from book sales had an average annual growth of 14.5% since 2015.
The table below shows the figures related to Simon & Schuster’s annual income from book sales and publishing since 2015:
|Year||Operating income ($ million)||Change|
|2022* (Janurary to Septermber)||223||29.7%* (compared to the same period in 2021)|
The annual book sales income figures for Simon & Schuster are presented graphically on the chart below: